Heading into what is traditionally a busy travel season, this month’s Amex Trendex, a trend report from American Express sheds light on how this holiday season will be different from years past with at least 3 in 5 consumers, surveyed across seven countries, planning to stay home for the holidays this year. “It’s no surprise that the holiday travel season will look different this year,” said Audrey Hendley, President of American Express Travel.
“While many consumers are planning to stay home for the holidays this year, our global American Express Travel booking data shows that those who are traveling this holiday season, are looking to do staycations or booking last-minute trips to satisfy their appetite for travel. In lieu of traveling for the holidays, consumers are dreaming of future travel with many saving up to buy 2021 trips or hoping to receive a 2021 domestic or international trip as a gift this holiday season.”
With future travel planning on the rise, the Amex Trendex revealed key findings across seven international countries surveyed:
- In Lieu of Holiday Travels, Consumers Are Using the Time to Wish For and Dream About Future Travel.
– Over half agree they are very interested in receiving a domestic (58%) or international (54%) trip in 2021 as a gift this holiday season.
– 3 in 5 (60%) agree their 2021 resolution is to take more vacation time than they did in 2020.
– 67% indicated that because of the pandemic, they are saving more money for their next trip.
- Relaxation is Key, But Top Vacation Activities Differ by Country
– 64% agree that, compared to before the pandemic, they are now more likely to book a vacation where they can relax and lounge vs. be physically active (53%)
– 41% of consumers in Mexico find a beach vacation most appealing vs. just 24% of all consumers surveyed
– 33% of adults in Japan find a spa most appealing vs. just 7% of all consumers surveyed
- Consumers Willing to Pay for Privacy & Space
– 80% agree that they are more likely to book a vacation that is not crowded or they can have access to private accommodations
– 61% are more likely to pay extra for a hotel with private amenities (private pool, etc.)
– 53% indicated they would be willing to pay extra for a hotel with a socially distanced spa
Additionally, American Express Travel found similar trends when looking at global Card Member booking data for travel booked through them in September 2020.
- Staycations Grow in International Countries (Sept. ‘20 vs Sept. ‘19)
– 76% of International Card Member hotel bookings were for domestic hotel properties (compared to 34% in Sept. ‘19)
– 27% of US Card Member hotel bookings were booked at properties located in the state where the Card Member resides (compared to 15% in Sept. ‘19)
- Card Members Continue To Book Last-Minute (Sept. ‘20 vs Sept. ‘19)
– 77% of International Card Member hotel bookings were for travel within the next 30 days ( compared to 66% in Sept. ‘19)
– 65% of International Card Member air bookings made for travel within the next 30 days (compared to 50% in Sept. ‘19)
– 69% of US Card Member air bookings made for travel within the next 30 days (compared to 54% in Sept. ‘19)