Report Highlights Progress on Marriott’s Environmental, Social, and Governance Efforts
Marriott International, Inc. has published its 2023 Serve 360 Report highlighting data as of year-end 2022, and shared the company’s continued progress on its Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) efforts. Marriott’s sustainability and social impact platform, Serve 360: Doing Good in Every Direction, guides the company’s efforts towards its 2025 Sustainability and Social Impact Goals.
“Since its founding in 1927, Marriott has placed a priority on serving its communities and creating a positive impact wherever we do business,” said Anthony Capuano, President and CEO, Marriott International. “With our size and global scale, we recognise the part we can play in driving meaningful change, which we believe adds value for our business and for our customers. Marriott is integrating sustainability across hotel operations, design, and its supply chain, providing humanitarian aid to those in need, creating access to opportunity for underserved communities, and welcoming all who walk through our doors. We have been unwavering in our focus on driving change toward a more sustainable and equitable future.”
Marriott’s Serve 360 platform was launched in 2017 in support of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals. The 2023 report highlights progress made by Marriott and its properties around the globe, including:
Strengthening Environmental Stewardship
- Committed to set a near-term science-based emissions reduction target and set a long-term science-based target to reach net-zero emissions by no later than 2050.
- Developed a program to accelerate the installation and adoption of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations at hotels across the globe; as of year-end 2022, over 5,500 EV chargers have been installed at Marriott properties worldwide.
- Transitioning to residential-sized bath amenities, which the company expects will prevent around 500 million small bath amenity bottles from going to landfills each year when fully implemented.
- Supported mangrove restoration in Mexico and the UAE, reforestation in the U.S., and renewal of fisheries in Thailand and South America, helping to promote ecosystem resilience and protect biodiversity.
Stepping Up Social Impact
- Allocated $50 million to increase hotel ownership among historically underrepresented groups through “Marriott’s Bridging the Gap” development program in the US and Canada.
- Trained over one million managed and franchised associates since 2016 to recognise and respond to the signs of human trafficking.
- Spent nearly $660 million with diverse suppliers across the Marriott portfolio in 2022.
- With The J Willard and Alice S Marriott Foundation, contributed over $5 million to support those impacted by the war in Ukraine in 2022 and $2 million to support those affected by the earthquakes in Türkiye and Syria in 2023 through the Marriott Disaster Relief Fund, Marriott Bonvoy points donations, cash and in-kind giving by hotels.
- Volunteered more than 1.6 million hours in local communities around the world in 2022.
Driving Diversity in Leadership
- 8 of 13 members on Marriott International’s Board of Directors are women and/or people of color as of May 12, 2023.
- Women made up 47% of Marriott’s global executives (VP level and above) at year-end 2022, with a goal to reach executive gender parity by year-end 2023.
- People of color hold 22% of U.S. executive positions with a goal of increasing diverse representation to 25% by year-end 2025.