The halal tourism market is projected to reach a valuation of US$ 255.0 billion in 2022, likely to surge at a vigorous 4.0 % CAGR from 2022 – 2032 and is likely to reach US$ 365.0 billion by the end of 2032.
The “halal” term means permissible according to Islamic laws and teachings. With a rise in the number of well-heeled Muslims, the halal industry has expanded into various lifestyle offerings including halal travel, tourism, and hospitality services. The halal tourism is a particular type of religious tourism which focusses on the things which are in conformity with the Islamic laws and teachings regarding diet, dressing, conduct, and behaviourisms.
According to Future Market Insights, the global halal tourism industry has been accounted as one of the fastest growing tourism segments in the world. The recent development in the global halal travel and tourism industry is caused by the ethical consumer trends and the change in the temperament of Muslim consumers globally.
Global Halal Tourism Industry: Drivers and Restraints
Halal tourism has gained a massive acceptance in recent times, and it is now becoming a new phenomenon in the global tourism industry. The halal tourism industry refers to the tourism products and hospitality services following the Islamic beliefs and practices. These activities involve serving of halal food, alcohol-free dining areas, separate spa and leisure activities for men and women, separate swimming pools, prayer facilities, and even beach areas which are only open to women.
Previously the halal tourism industry was mostly associated with the pilgrimages Hajj and Umrah. The growth in the higher middle-class Muslim consumers and the increase in the degree of interconnectivity has made travelling a part of life, thereby, changing the preference of Muslim tourists from traditional destinations such as Mecca and Medina to top holiday destinations and resorts.
The halal tourism industry is expected to go mainstream and develop as an integral part of the prospering global halal tourism sector. The global hotel and resort tourism sectors have flourished in recent years to fulfil the demands of Muslim travellers who want to enjoy full leisure and hospitality services, which at the same time caters to their religious requirements as well as follows the Islamic customs and culture.
This development is expected to drive the global halal tourism industry over the forecast period. Many countries across the world such as Turkey, Egypt, and Malaysia have already adopted this change into their tourism offerings to include accommodations and other facilities in accordance with the religious beliefs of Muslim tourists.
In addition to the Muslim countries, some non-Muslim countries including Singapore, Australia, and France have also shown a strong interest in the halal tourism industry. The presence of halal certified bodies such as food outlets etc. are making these countries a favourite destination for Muslim travellers which in turn is expected to drive the global halal tourism industry over the forecast period.
Global Halal Tourism Industry: Key Regions
- Malaysia is one of the fastest growing countries in the global halal tourism industry sector. This country so far has managed to attract Muslim travellers from all over the world especially travellers from the Middle East region. Recently this country was ranked among the top 10 halal-friendly tourism destinations in the world. The halal tourism industry is personalised according to the specific needs of Muslim tourists who primarily seek a family friendly environment.
- The countries which are the members of the Organization of Islamic Countries (OIC) are the primary sources of the halal tourism industry. The fast growing resident Muslim population in some of the non-Muslim majority regions including North America, Europe, India and China is expected to offer substantial growth opportunities for the global halal tourism industry during the forecast period.
- This comprehensive report equips readers with lucid information and analysis on the sector. Future Market Insights’ experienced travel and tourism analysts bring to you accurate and unbiased information to help you make crucial decisions with confidence.
- The report offers a 360° view – bringing to the fore key drivers, restraints, opportunities, and challenges prevailing in the sector. To offer readers actionable insights, detailed information on historical trends, current scenario, and future projections is provided in the report.
- The report specifically focusses on the leading companies operating in this sector, highlighting their key developmental strategies. A holistic analysis of the leading players is highlighted to help decision makers understand the overall competitive landscape.